I honestly cannot explain what it is about a meatball that my children love so much. Seriously, I could put anything in meatball form and they would eat it. I have so many dang meatball recipes in my brain, I just need to get them on my website, so you can have a meatball night too.
Some of our favorites include the Italian meatballs in my cookbook, buffalo chicken meatballs, and these spanakopita meatballs. Spanakopita is a Greek spinach pie with onions, garlic, and feta – it’s so delicious! All of those wonderful Greek flavors are in these meatballs, minus the flakey crust on the top.
So, if we are on the honest train right now, I will also add that I love meatballs as well. To cook and to eat. What’s easier than taking a bunch of ingredients and smashing them into ball form and letting the oven do the cooking? Nothing, super easy.
We ate these with some roasted potatoes and a salad, but these would be amazing on a hoagie roll with some tzatziki sauce too. I really don’t know why there isn’t a meatball restaurant somewhere – I’m swimming with ideas.
We are headed back to Europe and I can’t wait to go to Greece. It’s been on my list for so long and our first time living in Europe, we didn’t make it there. Not only do I want to see the beautiful landscape of Greece, I’m so excited about the food! The flavors of the Mediterranean are calling my name. For now, I’ll get the taste of the Mediterranean in my own kitchen.
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh spinach
- ¼ cup finely diced sweet yellow onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced or grated
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a mixing bowl, add sirloin, spinach, onion, garlic, mustard, salt, and egg - mix together
- Add crumbled feta and gently mix again
- Form into 1.5" balls
- Place on a baking sheet, leaving space in between each meatball
- Bake for 17-19 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the biggest meatball reads 160°F
- Serve plain or with tzatziki sauce